Re: \score

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: \score
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 18:06:08 -0700

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

Paul Scott wrote:

I finally read that section as well as the section on multiple movements. From the examples I *might* infer that only piece and opus can be changed in a new score.

That is correct. If it isn't clear, I'll look at making it more clear. (or ideally, you could tell me how to make it more clear. :)

However, the manual for version 2.7 also tells how to include
all headers for every movement, by setting the printallheaders
variable.

I have not seen that yet. Ok. I see the manual I am now looking at is for 2.7.28 and what you say is there. I now have no access to the 2.7.27 manual to see if that's why I missed it.

I see that printallheaders = ##t does what it says and prints all the headers - even again for the first movement. I only want some centered movement title like much common printed music not all the titles, etc. I'm not sure if your solution will do what I am describing.

I would think an ideal solution would be a "movement" header element which did what I am describing working like piece and opus and being centered. Would you agree that movement name is more commonly centered that instrument name even though I have seen examples of instrument name in the center?

Is there a way to have a movement title centered above the new movement which is the way most orchestral parts I read are done?

The easiest way is to simply stick them in separate ly files.

Can separate ly files be put on the same page without using LilyPond Book?

The most interesting way is to redefine scoreTitleMarkup. (I think that's the right name -- take a look at the bottom of "Creating titles".)

It's not clear how that will solve the problem of centered movement names over individual movements *on the same page* (which I hadn't made clear before).

With printallheaders=##t, you can use the ordinary title or
subtitle fields, otherwise you can redefine how the titles for
each subsequent score is printed, for example by

\paper {
 bookTitleMarkup = \markup {
  \fill-line {
    \fromproperty #'header:piece

which should center the "piece" field if I'm not mistaken.

It may take me a little while to test that and I'm not sure how to use it yet. Will that allow me to have different movement names since \paper applies to the whole ly file?

Thanks,

Paul