Re: Still learning Lilypond's ropes

From: Gianluca D.
Subject: Re: Still learning Lilypond's ropes
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 02:21:58 +0100

Alle 00:08, lunedì 16 gennaio 2006, Ray ha scritto:

> Do I insert the "\break" into the notes (not shown)?

  Yes, you can put the \break instruction into the notes, but you should put
it just after a barline, or, which is the same, between two measures-
otherwise, lilypond will ignore your command. When I say " after a barline" I
don't mean that you must have a "\bar" command between your notes, but that
you have to put the break in the ideal space between the notes of two
different measures- in common time, for instance, if you have this sequence
of notes:
        g4 b8 c d4 d, g2. r4
assuming that the first note starts a bar, there's only one place to put a
break, i.e. after the second d:
        g4 b8 c d4 d, \break g2. r4
because it is where a bar falls.

  Actually, it is still possible that Lilypond will ignore your command, if
its internal layout engine thinks that you've asked a too much ugly bar
break, but that disgraceful situation usually occurs when you try to avoid a
break with the "\noBreak" command.

  I hope this can be of some use.

Gianluca