Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 38, Issue 17

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 38, Issue 17
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 13:48:38 +0100

On Friday 06 January 2006 02.22, Linda Seltzer wrote:
> User Experience engineering does not require a GUI or an abandonment of the
> programming and typesetting approach.  It does not require the abandonment
> of providing detailed features.  What it requires is that the language
> and documentation are clear and that functionality doesn't require time-
> consuming work arounds.  For example, if one is running on a Windows
> environment, one should not have to install another editor and worry about
> getting that to work, and the outputs should be easily usable and readable
> by other programs without having to install other kinds of programs and
> accessories.

As far as I can remember, the problem you first reported was that the Windows
application Notepad automatically adds a .txt extension to the output file
name, and that windows's file manager doesn't show this extension. This is a
confusing behaviour of Microsoft's software, which makes it unsuitable for
use by newbies (however, I think an expert in Notepad can set the file name
extension fairly easily). This is a problem with Microsoft's software, which
you can report to them if you like (I know no other text editors which do the
same thing, so it should be considered a bug IMHO).

Lilypond doesn't ship with an editor on the Windows platform. The probably
best suited program for editing lilypond files under windows is jedit, and it
has been estimated that a lilypond+jedit installation package would be a >50
MB download. Because of that huge size, there needs to be a lilypond-only
installer as well.

It may be more user-friendly to ship a lilypond+jedit bundle installer for
windows, but it should IMHO be done by a third part. (the lilypond developers
shouldn't need to bother about which java versions that work best with which
jedit versions, which versions of jedit plug-ins that are best suited for
which lilypond versions, etc.) This installation package would probably
rather be created as an extended jedit installer, than as an extended
lilypond installer.

--
Erik