Re: User Experience Engineering

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: User Experience Engineering
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 22:31:07 +0100

Linda Seltzer wrote:
Dear Friends,

Having previously worked at AT&T Labs, where I was a member of the User
Experience Forum, I would like to make a few comments as a relative
outsider seeing the Lilypond project for the first time.  This is a great
endeavor and the software output is beautiful.

I would greatly encourage the project to focus on the user interface and
the user experience if this is to catch on in a large way.

Having to install separate editors (and who knows what bugs that will
bring and what other mailing lists one will have to subscribe to...) or
get into the system with DOS commands, and to understand what is wrong if
the flags are wrong, etc. does not constitute user interface engineering.

A smooth user interface employing the standard already-debugged platforms,
such as Notepad and Word on Windows, with everything bug free, is more
important than more and more detailed features, which can be added later.

"everything bug free" is hardly a qualification that applies to Windows. We also cater for MacOS, Linux and we soon will for FreeBSD. Windows, far more than any other platform that we cater for, is plagued by gratitious bugs, inconsistencies and untraceable errors.

Every 10 minues spent system administrating and installing things is 10
minutes that real work doesn't get accomplished.

> User experience engineering is just as important as other areas of
> software development.

Keep in mind that every 10 minutes we save you on doing system administration, typically takes us 8 hours of debugging, fiddling with cross-compilers and testing. Add to that that Windows by far is our least favorite platform: I'll go on record saying that the entire development team actually loathes and despises Windows.

If you're concerned about user-experience, I recommend you to choose between any of the following options

- switch over to MacOS

- sponsor the development team for Windows usability work

- volunteer time to help engineer the Windows release

Regards,