Re: Invisible notes, Scheme contexts

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Invisible notes, Scheme contexts
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 13:54:17 +0100

I see some cases where this would be clearly a win. Few weeks ago, a
singer asked me to change all alto clefs to treble clefs in a
voice+piano reduction score. Just redefining the \clef music function
would have made that really easy and quick.

A query replace alto -> treble is probably quicker than redefining the
function, at least if your name is not Nicolas Sceaux. :-)

The more music functions there are, and the less hardcoded syntax is,
the more extensible and flexible LilyPond is. Ideally, even \include
should be some kind of (not only-)music function, so that users could
define their own \include version (for including different files
depending on some parameters for instance, or adding a path).

I agree, it sounds like a good idea.
As long as the added flexibility doesn't mean too much added confusion
for the average user. Han-Wen's change to allow "string" instead of #"string"
is clearly a change in the right direction.

  /Mats