Re: \lyricsto was: Complicated newbie questions!

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: \lyricsto was: Complicated newbie questions!
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 20:24:43 +0100

Markian Hlynka wrote:

On Nov 6, 2005, at 4:29, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

You just give a name to the voice of music you want to attach your
lyrics to. To make it clear what is what in the syntax I didn't use  the
obvious name "mainvoice" but "THEMUSIC" in the following example:
\score{
  <<
    \context Voice = THEMUSIC \mainvoice
    \lyricsto THEMUSIC \new Lyrics \mainwords

}

If you want to split lyrics when the music splits into several voices,
use separate Voice contexts with separate names and just attach the
lyrics to the corresponding voice. Read in "7.3.6 More stanzas" to see
one example.

Ok, I've been working with Mats' suggestion, and I'm making progress, but I'm still confused. First, I don't understand the distinction between THEMUSIC in the example above and \mainvoice. mainvoice is where I defined my melody line:

Do you have any experience of computer programming? In that case, just
think of mainvoice as a macro definition or a variable. It is just a
way to structure your input file. For example,

mainvoice = { c d e f }
\score{
  \mainvoice
}

is completely equivalent to

\score{
  { c d e f }
}

Naming Voice contexts is something completely different. For example, in

\score{
\context Staff = mystaff { \context Voice = ABCD { c d e f } }
}

you explicitly tell LilyPond to create a Staff context (corresponding to
a printed staff/stave) which contains a Voice context (corresponding to
one line of music). LilyPond will create most of these contexts
automatically even if you don't specify them, for example a Voice
context is created as soon as you have some music and a Staff context
as soon as there is a Voice. However, in certain circumstances you want
to specify a name of the voice or stave to be able to refer to it.

   /Mats