strange beam behavior

From: Scott Russell
Subject: strange beam behavior
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 10:32:44 -0500

Hello Lilypond folks,

I'm a (relatively) novice Lilypond user. I'm working on some non-measured (cadenza-like) material and have encountered a strange situation.

The five sixteenth notes of the 2nd figure in Line 3 ... c8 ( [ \setTextCresc d16\< c b c ) e\staccato ] ... should all be beamed together. What I'm seeing in the output is the second flag on the d facing left all by itself, then the remaining 4 sixteenths beamed together with both flags. If I remove the first (unaffected) figure, the problem resolves in the second figure, but moves to the third figure. (It all makes sense if you compile and look at the output.)

On a related note, the way this code is currently edited, line 4 looks OK. BUT, if I remove the "modified" line 3, you'll see the same strange beam behavior in the "fis16 [ ( g" sixteenth notes in the middle of the line.

Any ideas on how to make these beamings work?

Thanks!

\version "2.6.3"

melody = \relative c'' {
\key g \major
\override Staff.TimeSignature #'transparent = ##t
\override Score.BarNumber #'transparent = ##t
\cadenzaOn

% #### Line 3 ####

% ORIGINAL - doesn't work - first figure OK, second figure wrong, third and fourth figures OK.
b4 ( c16 [ b a b ) d\staccato ] c8 ( [ \setTextCresc d16\< c b c ) e\staccato ] d8 ( [ e16 d cis d ) f\staccato ] e8 ( [ f!16 e dis e ) g\staccato ] f!1\f \breathe

\bar "" \break

% MODIFIED - removed first figure - now it moves the error into the next figure - why?
c8 ( [ \setTextCresc d16\< c b c ) e\staccato ] d8 ( [ e16 d cis d ) f\staccato ] e8 \( [ f!16 e dis e \) g\staccato ] f!1\f \breathe

\bar "" \break

%%%%% FIXME: fix sixteenth note beams in first figure in line above

% #### Line 4 ####

e16 ( [ g f! ] ) cis! ( [ d e d ] ) \once \override TextScript #'extra-offset = #'(1.2 . 0) ais16_\markup {diminuendo } ( [ b c b ] ) fis16 [ ( g d'8 ) c b a g8. f16 ] f2 ( e4 ) \breathe

\bar "" \break

%%%%% FIXME: fix sixteenth note beams in second figure in line above

\cadenzaOff

}

\score {
    \new Staff \melody
}

Best wishes,
Scott
--
Scott Russell

IT Support Engineer, Office of Information Technologies, University of Notre Dame
Instructor of Horn, University of Notre Dame and Saint Mary's College
Assistant Horn, South Bend Symphony Orchestra

205 DeBartolo Performing Arts Center
574-631-2698
ScottRussell@nd.edu