Re: Proper Text output (kerning etc.)

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Proper Text output (kerning etc.)
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 10:36:10 +0200

Christian Ebert wrote:
* Han-Wen Nienhuys on Friday, October 28, 2005:

Robert Memering wrote:

But what about metrics and kerning? Just type \markup{Ve}
(e.g. for "Veni sancte spiritus) and you know what I mean.
This hurts my eyes. I can't release books of sheet music
with text that looks like poor MS Word output.

Is there any way to get the old Text quality back?

Have you tried using a font which comes in OTF of TTF formats?

But then it still doesn't use the .tfm files, or does it?

No, but TTF and OTF also contain kerning information too.

Besides, at least on MacOS 10.3.9, including other fonts isn't
trivial at all; at least I couldn't get it to work, and when I
asked here nobody answered that he could.

Put them into ~/.fonts/ or symlink them from there.