figured bass questions&problems

From: Jan Janovcik
Subject: figured bass questions&problems
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 14:25:24 -0700 (PDT)

Dear list,
I've been typesetting an early baroque continuo part
and came across several problems.

I'm using lily 2.7.12 windows native and I'm not
wether some of these issues have or haven't been taken
care of in later version which are not yet aviable to
me...

1. (Possible bug...) Please take a look at the
attached bit of my score. Accidentals are shifted
horizontally a bit lower when typeset alone (sharp and
flat with numbers 1 and two respectively), which is
not that bad in itself, but when they are attached to
numbers (6's in my example - numbers 2 and 3) this
problem persists with 6#, while 6 with flat is OK.

Is there a temporary workaround? I tried to override
the padding prop. of BassFigure obj. but without
succes...

2. Figured Bass feature as implemented was probably
made with later figured bass in mind, but in earlier
music (around 1650 in my case) sharps and flats occur
more often alone. For these cases it would probably be
better to use greater font size of the accidentals
glyphs for these cases. As seen in the example, the
sharp symbol is very in comparison with the "3"
numeral (under number 1. for example).

As with previous problem I wasn't succesfull at
changing the properties of the individual figure.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jan Janovcik

http://mail.yahoo.com