Re: Stanzas in Lyrics --- alignment

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Stanzas in Lyrics --- alignment
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 11:17:46 +0200

First of all, did you check the default setting of this property
for Lyrics? If you follow the links pointed out in the email,
you will find out that the default is |(-1.2 . 2.4). If you want
to keep the default distance to the stave, then you don't
want to change the upper extent of the first stanza and the
lower extent of the second stanza.

Second, a property setting has to be done within the context
where you want it to apply.

Also, you are trying to add Lyrics contexts within a Voice
context, which doesn't really make sense to LilyPond. I wouldn't
even dare guessing what it actually does.

Since you didn't send any complete example, I have not been able
to test it, but I hope that the following will work better.

\score {
 \context ChoirStaff <<

   \context Voice = discantusNotes <<
     \set Staff.instrument = "Cantus"
\global \discantusNotes >>

   \lyricsto "discantusNotes" \new Lyrics {
     \set minimumVerticalExtent = #'(0 . 2.4)
     \discantusLyrics
   }

   \lyricsto "discantusNotes" \new Lyrics {
     \set minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-1.2 . 1.0)
     \secondLyrics

  /Mats

Anna Choma wrote:

Thank you very much. It works, but only for one voice. I have 4
voices, and each of them has two stanzas. My score looks (fragment
with 2 voices):

\score {
\context ChoirStaff <<
 \context Voice = discantusNotes <<
  \set Staff.instrument = "Cantus"
  \global \discantusNotes
  \lyricsto "discantusNotes" \new Lyrics \discantusLyrics
  \lyricsto "discantusNotes" \new Lyrics \secondLyrics
  \set Lyrics.minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-5 . 2) >>
 \context Voice = altusNotes <<
  \set Staff.instrument = "Altus"
  \global \altusNotes
  \lyricsto "discantusNotes" \new Lyrics \discantusLyrics
  \lyricsto "discantusNotes" \new Lyrics \secondLyrics
  \set Lyrics.minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-5 . 2) >>

Setting the first works, setting the second doesn't work. Why? I've
tried other places, but it works only, when I put the setting after
the \lyricsto line. I've tried also put the line in the \context
Lyrics in the \layout block. It has no effect either. What am I doing
wrong?

Anna Choma

Mats Bengtsson wrote:
See the answer to question 3 in
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2005-03/msg00367.html

/Mats

Anna Choma wrote:

Hello,

Maybe this is very easy, but I don't know how to do it. I have been
looking in the manual, program reference and so on. I Have two stanzas
of Lyrics and I want them to be closer each other. Namely how to
reduce a little the gap between the first and second stanza without
affecting padding of lyrics on the whole?

Best regards,

Anna Choma

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing