Re: compiling times?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: compiling times?
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:49:30 +0200

In addition to the other hints you have already received,
I have added some comments below.

Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence wrote:
I'm xp celeron 512ram
I am still trying to put together a more complicated score of 7 different instruments including piano.
I took and modified the example in Chapter 3 of the manual
I use jedit to work it out.

But, though I get a log file saying
parsing.......
After 30 minutes nothing else is happening, no .ps or .pdf

I tried to look at the processes to see if I could figure out if compiling was taking place but I couldn't recognize which/what might be lily as nothing seemed to fit.

I'm sure there's a way to find 'mistakes' if that's why there's no output but so far I've not been led by the nose to it.

So please some directions.

\version "2.6.3"
\header {
 title = "Jat 10"
 composer = "Jay Hamilton"
 subtitle = "suite for alternating instruments"
 copyright = "CC some rights reserved Jay Hamilton 2005"

}
#(set-global-staff-sice 20)
global = {
   \time 4/4
}
Key = { \key c \major }

flute = \relative c' {
   \Key
   c1 c c
}

flute = [
\global
\set Staff.instrument = #"Flute"
\clef treble
\context Staff <<
\flute

}

Here, you provide two different definitions of \flute.
Even though LilyPond actually does what you want, I wouldn't
consider it a particularly good idea.

clarinet = \relative c' {
   \Key
   c1 c c
}

clarinet = [
\global
\set Staff.instrument = #"Clarinet"
\clef treble
\context Staff <<
\clarinet

}
violin = \relative c' {
   \Key
   c1 c c
}

violin = [
\global
\set Staff.instrument = #"Flute"
\clef treble
\context Staff <<
\violin

}
xylophone = \relative c' {
   \Key
   c1 c c
}

xylophone = [
\global
\set Staff.instrument = #"Xylophone"
\clef treble
\context Staff <<
\xylophone

}

%piano parts
rh = \relative c' {
   \Key
   c1 c c
}
lh = \relative c {
   \Key
   c1 c c
}
PianoRH = {
   \clef treble
   \global
   \set Staff.midiInstrument - "acoustic grand"

Replace '-' -> '='
(This one is easy to find from the error printouts of LilyPond)

}
PianoLH = {
   \clef bass
   \global
   \set Staff.midiInstrument = "acoustic grand"
}
piano = {
   \context PianoStaff <<
   \set PianoStaff.instrument = #"Piano"
   \context Staff = upper \PianoRH
   \context Staff = lower \PianoLH

}
trombone = \relative c {
   \Key
   c1 c c
}

Trombone = [
\global
\set Staff.instrument = #"Trombone"
\clef treble
\context Staff <<
\trombone

}

Note that LilyPond is picky about lowercase - uppercase. Remember to
use \Trombone below and not \trombone!

cello = \relative c {
   \Key
   c1 c c
}

cello = [
\global
\set Staff.instrument = #"Cello"
\clef treble
\context Staff <<
\cello

}
\score {
   <<
   \context Staff = flute

Here you have only specified the name of the context, no
contents of it. Probably you want to do

   \context Staff = flute \flute

On the other hand, it seems that there is no specific need at least
in this example, to explicitly name the contexts. You could just as
well say:
  \new Staff \flute

Similarly for the other contexts.

   \context Staff = clarinet
   \context Staff = violin
   \context Staff = xylophone
   \context Staff = piano \piano
   \context Staff = trombone
   \context Staff = cello

   \layout {
       \context {
       \Score }
   }

\midi {tempo 4 = 60 }

Replace "tempo" -> "\tempo"
This one is also clearly pointed out by LilyPond error messages.

}

Thanks
Jay

   /Mats