syntax error

From: Gordon Gilbert
Subject: syntax error
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 09:06:03 -0400 (EDT)

Hi folks!

I'm using 2.5.29 (and still a bit new to it I must admit). I've been editing this .ly file and compiling it just fine when all of a sudden, wishing to print a copy, I noticed my /paper was wrong -- I need "letter" instead of A4. Now all along, the compile message would say:

Parsing...
warning: Must use #(set-paper-size .. ) within \paper { ... }
Interpreting music... [8][16][24][32][40][48][49]

but it would finish and be fine.

So, looking through my file I noticed I had no \paper, but my #(set-paper-size) was withing \layout (leftover from version 2.2.6 and not changed on convert-ly) So I moved that to the top of the file within a \paper block. The first time I compiled that, it did just fine, but did not change the paper size.

Then I changed something else (and I can't seem to restore it with "undo" in xemacs) and it now gives me:

Gloria4Part.ly:20:10: error: syntax error, unexpected DIGIT
\version "
          2.5.29"
error: failed files: "Gloria4Part.ly"

I don't get this -- I have several other files with the same syntax (here is a snippet to look at -- not complete to compile):

\header {
        filename = "Gloria4Part.ly"
        enteredby = "Gordon Gilbert"
        composer = "Gordon Gilbert 1994, 2004"
        poet = "Missa Brevis"
        date="2004"
        title = "Gloria In Excelsis"
        subtitle = "Glory to God in the highest"
        metre = ""
        meter = \metre
        copyright = "Gordon Gilbert"
        style =  "Missa Brevis"
        mutopiacomposer = \composer
        mutopiapoet=\poet
        maintainer = "Gordon Gilbert"
        maintainerEmail = "address@hidden"
        lastupdated = "2005/September/5

\paper{
        #(set-paper-size "letter")
}

global= {
    \time 4/4 \key c \major

There's something obvious here to everyone except me -- what is wrong with my \version? Or anything else here for that matter? What am I missing?

Thanks guys,

Fr. Gordon Gilbert+

        |                 Angels' Roost Farm                  |
        |       Rev. Fr. Gordon Gilbert & Susan Gilbert       |
        |                   705-549-5056                      |
        |                address@hidden                  |
        |                address@hidden                 |