lilypond on freebsd

From: Graham Percival
Subject: lilypond on freebsd
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 19:37:42 -0700

On 31-Aug-05, at 4:56 PM, Gordon Gilbert wrote:

I've downloaded the lilypond package in order to upgrade my version (currently 2.5.29). I'm running FreeBSD 5.3 on a P-5 (fairly good horsepower -- I forget exactly what) with oodles and oodles of ram.

If you mean the precompiled lilypond package, then you're out of luck; it's only for windows, OSX, and linux. It _might_ be possible to get the linux version to run with freebsd's linux emulation layer, but I don't recommend trying this.

Can someone explain step-by-step (I'm no geek -- just a very satisfied user of Lilypond) how to install this new version? I am fairly familiar with Ports installations and upgrades, and I imagine this could be somewhat similar, i.e. painless and complete. But I don't want to take any wrong turns :-)

I recommend uninstalling the old version (if you still have the source tree for it, just go in there and type "make uninstall" ( just like you did "make install"). Then simply make the new version the same way you made 2.5.29 -- get the source
tarball, configure, make, make install.

A while ago there was some discussion of a lilypond port for freebsd, but I can't
see any updates about this.

In addition, it's a good idea to give your question a descriptive subject (like "lilypond on freebsd", which I've done). This way somebody who only reads lilypond-user casually will be able to tell what the email is about, and if they
use freebsd (which I don't) they may be able to help you more.

Cheers,
- Graham