Re: New slur/tie behaviour

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: New slur/tie behaviour
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:11:35 +0200 (CEST)

>     I just type-set a piece using version 2.7.7 and this piece also
> had some ties in it.  In this example I thought the new behavior was
> a bit odd as I have two ties in a row but they are longer note
> values and should they not appear at the same level? I noticed that
> the change-log gives an example of this new feature but the first
> note is tied to a very short note followed by a longer one.

I second that.  Especially in chords, short ties are moved too much
vertically from the `correct' place.  IMHO, this:

looks *really* bad.  A tie, regardless of being short or long, must
not be placed completely between two staff lines if the notes are also
between the same two lines.

For further references I suggest that you take a Henle or UE edition
of Beethoven's piano sonatas (the later ones).

    Werner