Re: Can't easily install LilyPond 2.6.x on Ubuntu

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Can't easily install LilyPond 2.6.x on Ubuntu
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:25:16 -0400

    MG> If anyone's successfully installed LilyPondon 2.6.x on Ubuntu, I'd be
    MG> grateful for tips.

I'm on Debian Unstable; I'm not sure how different that is from
Ubuntu, but you're welcome to what I know.

    MG> I've tried the .package binary, but it appears not to be happy
    MG> with the version of Ghostview I've got (gnome-gv
    MG> 1:2.8.4-0ubuntu2, gv 1:3.6.1-2).  I do try and stick to the
    MG> packages as much as possible, so I'm a bit uneasy about
    MG> needing to change my Ghostview install too...

Ghostview shouldn't be a problem for building; if you have an old
version it might be a problem for viewing.  I find that the new
version works fine for everything.

There's one glitch, which is that if you use the "watch" option, it's
changed from -watch to --watch, so any scripts you have have to know
that.

Ghostscript on the other hand really does need to be an old version
for older lilyponds and a new version for (either building or using)
the newer (>2.4) versions.

I have solved that problem (on Debian unstable) by installing "gs-gpl
8.15-1" from the unstable feed, and leaving "gs-esp
7.07.1-9" on the machine.  Then when I want to try to use lily 2.6, I say:

          update-alternatives --set gs /usr/bin/gs-gpl

and when I want to go back to 2.0, where all my scripts know what to
do, I say:

         update-alternatives --set gs /usr/bin/gs-esp

If I forget to do this, things still work, but the fonts in ghostview
look pretty terrible.

    MG> Is building LilyPond from source *really* as involved as the
    MG> documentation suggests?

I think you really do have to do everything in the documentation, but
once you get all the packages installed, it tends to go pretty
smoothly, especially if you don't need to build the documentation.
Right now, I can't build 2.7.x because, like you, I prefer to stick to
the package system, and 2.7.x depends on a fontforge version that
Debian unstable doesn't have yet.

    MG> Am I likely also to hit problems with my ghostview version if
    MG> I take that route?

./configure will complain if it doesn't see what it thinks is the
right version.

    MG> And how easy is it to stay on top of upgrades - can new
    MG> versions be installed comfortably over old ones?

If you're bouncing back and forth between major versions like I do, I
recommend that you uninstall before installing.  If you're just
getting this week's version of 2.7 instead of last week's, I think you
can just say "make install" and it will work.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

I lost mail from Friday, August 5 to Sunday August 7, so if you sent
me anything then, you'll have to resend.