Windows command prompt and lilypond 2.6 native windows

From: Art Hixson
Subject: Windows command prompt and lilypond 2.6 native windows
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 23:40:01 -0700

Typing lilypond at the Windows command prompt produces no result. Whereas, from the Cygwin console I get the default sample .ly file.
I can compile a .ly file from Cygwin but not from the Windows prompt.  Why?

It seems the only way I can send a .ly file to the Windows install is by dragging the file icon to the Lilypond icon on the desktop. That's really painfully awkward!

I really like jEdit, because it's cultivated for Lilypond and Python, but I have to have Bash there just to run it anyway. It can be pointed to the Windows install, of course. But I was much happier with the overall way things worked when Lilypond was installed in Cygwin. I'd love to have Linux up on this machine, but don't have that option.