Re: lilypond 2.4.4 package on suse 9.3: dvips problem

From: Tapio Tuovila
Subject: Re: lilypond 2.4.4 package on suse 9.3: dvips problem
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 08:52:02 +0300

Robert Memering kirjoitti:
compilation went quite smoothly.
at least I'm glad about this.
But it is not much use,
because none of my old 2.4.x scores work. I used convert-ly, but I
still have several problems. One score doesn't compile, and the
other ones have one-line-staves instead of five-line ones (this
-at least- seems to be a bug of the unstable version because the
score on page 48 of the 2.5 Manual, pdf version, shows the same
phenomenon).
Yes, seems that either that score is somehow broken or there is a bug in lilypond 2.5.27.

On the other hand, for me the 2.5.27 on SuSE 9.3 has worked fine (as have most versions after 2.5.18, by the way), in my opinion it is not at all that 'unstable'.

I also tested converting some 2.4.x scores and this mostly went OK. One occasion, however, was somehow messed with the encodings (2.4 *.ly files being in iso-8859-1 and 2.5 *.ly files in utf-8) and that one produced blank pages after the header. But when I tried converting again, this also went OK. As I could not reproduce the problem there's not much to say about it.
So, I think that I will wait for a new stable version,
because I am fed up with spending days on trying to get
things running.
Or, how about a bug report with short examples? The stable version is coming pretty soon, and would be nice if your problem were fixed in it, too.

my best, Tapio