[Fwd: Re: Powerchords (edited..]

From: Brett Duncan
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Powerchords (edited..]
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 19:10:06 +1000

Jennifer Clark wrote:
Bernard Hurley wrote:

A question I can't seem to find the answer to in the manual or online: Is it possible to represent powerchords, i.e. those consisting of only a root note and fifth, in the ChordNames notation?

I havn't come across the term "powerchord" before. I would normally
refer to them as "bare fifths". in what context is the term used?
In a rock or heavy metal context usually, perhaps it is a British term?
There is more detail at the following link:-

"In music, a *power chord* is an interval which serves the diatonic
function of a major or minor chord. It consists of two pitches or three
pitches with one doubled at the octave, and thus only two pitch classes.
The pitch classes are separated by a perfect fifth or its inversion the
perfect fourth."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_chord

I'm still not sure how to render theseas chord symbols in Lilypond...
I'm not even sure what the official nomenclature is. I'm sure I've come
across things like "C5" in the past though.

Jennifer

You can overrider Lilypond's chord naming mechanism by adding the
following (which can be found in the documentation under "Printing Chord
Names") to your file:

/--------------------------------------------------
chExceptionMusic =  {
    <c g>1-\markup { \super "5" }
    }

                                % add to existing exceptions.
chExceptions = #(append
                 (sequential-music-to-chord-exceptions chExceptionMusic #t)
                 ignatzekExceptions)

--------------------------------------------------/

and you use it in chord mode like this:

/--------------------------------------------------
yourMusic = \chordmode {
    \set chordNameExceptions = #chExceptions

        f4^3 g^3 g^3 f^3 g^3    % etc.
}
--------------------------------------------------/

Note that you can enter your power chord with c^3 or c:1.5 or c:sus.

If you want the chords themselves, and not just the chord names, to
appear in your score, and you want the root doubled at the octave,
adjust what appears above to read

<c g c'>1-\markup { \super "5" }

but you then have to enter the chords as c:1.5.8, since simply removing
the third won't give you the result you want.

BTW, the notation C5 is usually associated with jazz rather than metal,
but I don't know of another notation for power chords, so you might as
well use C5 (unless someone else has a better suggestion).

HTH

Brett