Re: Still frustrated with chords

From: Robert T Wyatt
Subject: Re: Still frustrated with chords
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:03:13 -0500

At 9:27 AM -0400 4/12/05, somebody wrote:
Dm/sus/b5 and Fm(maj7)

 > I don't what sus without a modifier means (I have studied some theory
 but obviously not enough).

Pretty sure he means suspended 4th (that would be my assumption when reading it).

 > f:maj7.3-  actually works (even if it seems backwards from the way we
 were thinking).

When you say it works, do you mean the computer understands you, or the reader?

 >>> "<root>:sus" doesn't work.

Hello everybody!

I'm brand new to LilyPond, live in Austin, TX, work for the University, play rhythm guitar with my friends, and use a Macintosh computer.

While I came to LilyPond more because of a bandmate who has a musical background and I figured I could help him transcribe a few things, I will be very interested to see how chords are implemented with it, since I frequently get away with sight reading them. FWIW, I agree with Jennifer's comments about the Real books' chord conventions being usable in most cases.

And David, thanks for openguitar.com; I've already been back to it twice today.

Now it's back to work for me,
Robert
free music from the BenTones: http://bentones.us/
ps. If you listen to "Corkscrew" on the "Beer On The Tracks" album, you'll see what I have to deal with in transcribing Bob's music.