Re: Horizontal spacing [Was: Problems with polyphony (rests, dynamics, l

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Horizontal spacing [Was: Problems with polyphony (rests, dynamics, lyrics, tempo)]
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 01:45:08 +0200

Am Montag, 4. April 2005 23:35 schrieb Mats Bengtsson:
> Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> >-) The spacing of the notes is very uneven (caused by diffferent lengths
> > of the lyrics). See e.g. measure 46, which contains 4 eigth-notes, which
> > are spaced very uneven.
>
> If you can show some examples of well-engraved scores where this
> situation is handled differently, I'm sure that the main hackers of LilyPond
> are interested.
> They are very keen to provide as good layout as possible.

In all printed scores that I have, the spacing is much larger. In particular,
lilypond tries to stuff 6 measures into the same amount of space where my
printed score doesn't even have four.

Setting
        \override Score.SeparationItem #'padding = #0.5
helps to a great extent.

> >-) the dot of dotted notes is too far away from the note and too near to
> > the next note. See e.g. measure 67 of ImKrapfenwaldl.pdf
>
> That looks very strange. I recommend you to send a bug report to
> address@hidden

Will do.

> >-) The whole measure rests in the last system are not centered inside the
> >measure (measures 109-111 and 115.
>
> Use R2 instead of r2. In general, always use R for full measure rests, see
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.4/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Rests.html
>#Rests

Ah thanks, I wasn't aware of that difference between r and R

> >-) The fermatas on the rests in the last system are not drawn above the
> > rests. What am I doing wrong here?
>
> Moving your \dynamik into the corresponding Voice context should
> hopefully solve also these problems.

No, the rests are now centered, but the first fermata is still too far to the
right, and the second fermata is too far to the left.

Thanks for your

Reinhold Kainhofer, Vienna, Austria
 * Financial and Actuarial Mathematics, TU Wien, http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at
 * K Desktop Environment, http://www.kde.org/, KOrganizer / KPilot maintainer