Re: How to do notes + lyrics in sequence

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: How to do notes + lyrics in sequence
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:59:49 +0100

I have to admit I had to do some trial and error to get this right.

Of course, the easiest solution is what Michiel proposed, namely to
concatenate all the music into a single Voice context and all text into
a single Lyrics context:

\score {
  <<
    \context Voice = "allparts" {\parta \partb }
    \lyricsto "allparts" \new Lyrics { \partaText \partbText }

  \paper {}
  \midi {}
}

Note that the music and lyrics should happen simultaneously, not
one after the other, so you have to enclose them in <<...>> instead
of {...}.

However, if you for example have a repeat in the middle of the piece
with two lines of lyrics for the repeat bot only one line for the
rest of the piece, it could be a good idea to use separate Voice
contexts for each section of the piece. To make sure that they all
end up in the same stave, it's a good idea to explicitly specify
where you want to create the Staff context:

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff {
      \context Voice = "parta" \parta
      \context Voice = "partb" \partb
    }
    \new Lyrics <<
      \lyricsto "parta" \partaText
      \lyricsto "partb" \partbText

  \paper {}
  \midi {}
}

What wasn't intuitive to me was that I had to put the two sections of
lyrics within <<...>> instead of {...} even though they actually will
be typeset in sequence. The reason is probably that both
\lyricsto "parta" and \lyricsto "partb" start looking for matching music
already at the beginning of the score.

   /Mats

Matthew T. Atkinson wrote:
'ello,

I've been reading the documentation, tutorial and trying for some time
to get this working, but I just can't get my head round how it is meant
to be done.  I would like to split my piece into a series of sections
(in the text file that lilypond reads).  I would like each section to be
some notes with attached lyrics, but I can't get the lyrics to appear.

I've attached a file which shows what I'm trying to achieve, but it
doesn't of course work.  The command line I am using (FYI) is:

address@hidden:~$ lilypond --set=orientation=landscape test.ly

I'm not getting any errors during compilation.

Sorry if this is a stupid question; I've been trying almost every way to
do this, but the example files are all much more complicated than I am
able to understand at the moment, as I've only just started using the
program (they seem to change a lot of formatting settings too, which I
am not really interested in).  I read the tutorial, but it doesn't show
how to combine sections with lyrics and notes.

Thanks in advance for some pointers on the right way to do it :-).

best regards,

#(set-default-paper-size "a4")
#(set-global-staff-size 26)
\version "2.2.6"

\header {
  title = "Example Tune"
  composer = "matatk"
  enteredby = "address@hidden"
}

parta = \notes \relative c' {
  e4 dis e2
  e4 dis e2
  e4 dis e dis e dis e fis e
}

partb = \notes \relative c' {
    a b c d e f g c d f a g b e
}

partaText = \lyrics {
  foo bar foo
  bar foo bar
  foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar bar
}

partbText = \lyrics {
    foo bar foo bar foo bar foo
}

\score {
  {
{ \context Voice = "parta" \parta
        \lyricsto "parta" \new Lyrics { \partaText }
    }
    {
        \context Voice = "partb" \partb
        \lyricsto "partb" \new Lyrics { \partbText }
    \paper {}
    \midi {}

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing