Re: Bigger Output for Vision-Impaired Users

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Bigger Output for Vision-Impaired Users
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:13:41 +0100

Please always tell what LilyPond version you use, to be sure to obtain
a relevant answer. I assume that you have version 2.4.

Have you tried to increase the staff size? See
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.4/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Setting-global-staff-size.html#Setting-global-staff-size

If the 26pt size is still too small for you, I would recommend a
two-step procedure. First use LilyPond to typeset pieces in normal
size but on A5 landscape papers, see
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.4/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Paper-size.html#Paper-size
Then, you can magnify the result and print in on A4 paper. Maybe the
easiest way is to choose "Expand small pages to paper size" in the print
options of Acrobat reader. As an alternative, you can use a program like
psresize to resize the PostScript file produced by LilyPond. If you really would want A3 size output but only have an A4 printer, there is
a Linux program called 'poster' that can magnify an A4 page to A3 size
printed on 2 A4 papers with nice cut marks.

   /Mats

Matthew T. Atkinson wrote:
'ello,

I've only been using lilypond for a short while and have already found
it very useful.  I'm writing to ask a question about how the output of
the program might be modified slightly.

I am vision-impaired and have been playing the Clarinet for a number of
years.  When I was at school, my music was always photocopied so it was
on A3 instead of A4 paper.  This allowed me to see it well enough to
learn it.  Since I left school (I'm now at University) I've not really
had much new music because of the cost/time of having to photocopy it.

I was wondering if I could alter the output of lilypond so that it still
uses A4 paper but makes the music (well, everything it outputs) 1.41
times as large - so that it is as big as my old A3 music is (though on
many more pages).  If anyone knows of a way I could do this, I'd be
grateful for information about it.  I am reasonably familiar with TeX so
if it requires some low-level tinkering I should be able to manage that.

It would probably be best for the output to be landscape on A4 so that
the lines are long enough to be practical.  This would essentially make
it the same as my A3 music but with twice as many pages.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have,

best regards,

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems