Re: Lyrics and Clefs in Cues for Horns

From: D Josiah Boothby
Subject: Re: Lyrics and Clefs in Cues for Horns
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 16:35:42 -0800 (PST)

I can't help you with the lyrics question, but:

(Pre-question: is there a mode where the key signature is not shown, but
all accidentals are printed?  This seems to be the common way to write
horn parts, but I don't see how to do it in Lilypond except to
manipulate the key signatures myself.)

Something like this should work:

Key = { \key c \minor}

Oboe = \relative c'' {
  \Key
  c4 d es2
}

Horn = \relative c' {
%  \Key % uncomment this line if you *do* want a key sig for the hornist
  c4 d es2
}

When I show cues for instruments in a different transposition, it seems
appropriate to show the clef before and after the cues to indicate the
change of  "key," even though it's the same clef the horns use.  Is
there a way to force the clef to be displayed, even though its "the same"?

I've never seen this. If the same clef is to be used (after transposition),
there is no need to remind us. If you aren't transposing the cues into the hornist's transposition, be consistent: so, all instruments presented as they would be read by the original instrument itself, and all transposing instruments listed with their transposition indicated.

It is *highly advised* to transpose the cues into the hornist's transposition.

Josiah