Adobe Fonts in LilyPond

From: Basil Crow
Subject: Adobe Fonts in LilyPond
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 16:18:53 -0500

Hello all,

I'm a new LilyPond user and use LilyPond 2.5.x on a fully-up-to-date copy of Gentoo Linux without X as well as on Ubuntu Linux 5.04-preview with Xorg and Gnome 2.10. I would like to use PostScript fonts from the Adobe Font Folio in my LilyPond output, for example, Adobe Caslon or Adobe Garamond, but my experience of using X/Gnome (and the Linux font situation in general) is limited.

On my Ubuntu system, I opened fonts:/// and copied my *.pfb files for Adobe Caslon into it. As a test, I also copied the Calisto MT TrueType font as well. OpenOffice can see the TrueType font I installed, but not the PostScript ones. Mozilla Firefox can see all of them.

Now, LilyPond, the crux of the matter here, can't seem to find these fonts (I used "locate" to learn that Gnome had put them in ~/.fonts). I edited /usr/local/share/lilypond/2.5.15/scm/font.scm and changed a line to read {add-pango-fonts n 'roman Adobe Garamond" factor}, but when I try and run LilyPond the next time, I get the following message:

/usr/local/share/lilypond/2.5.15/scm/lily.scm:306:8: In expression (catch (quote ly-file-failed) (lambda () #) ...): /usr/local/share/lilypond/2.5.15/scm/lily.scm:306:8: Wrong number of arguments to #<procedure #f (key arg)>

I can hack font.scm to refer to "URW Palladio L" fine, and the change is reflected the next time I use LilyPond. I can change it back to the default Century font, and the change is reflected the next time I use LilyPond. Somehow, though, using "Adobe Garamond" will trigger the above error.

I'm hacking the font name directly into font.scm because I'm under the impression that only the default fonts are easily sizeable. I'm really impressed by LilyPond but I'd just like to use Adobe Garamond instead of Century for my documents :) Thanks for your help in advance.

--Basil Crow