Re: Installing LilyPond on Windows 2000

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Installing LilyPond on Windows 2000
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:00:17 +0100

David Bolton wrote:
To whom it may concern,

I followed the procedures for downloading/installing LilyPond outlined at:
http://www.lilypond.org/web/download/windows.html

Double-clinking on the test.ly from the desktop only ask me for a
program to open it with.

This is strange, the installation program should fix that automatically.
However, it seems that the installation program occassionally fails
in different ways and the standard solution is just to run it once
again. Try to rerun setup.exe and choose "reinstall" of the package
called lilypond if the list specifies that you already have version
2.4.2-1 installed. This should hopefully solve the problems.

> It put a shortcut on my desktop labled, "Cygwin". If I open this, it
> opens a DOS prompt window. I type in "lilypond" and it gives me a few
> options that I don't really understand. What do I need to do to make
> the test.ly file produce a pdf file.

First of all, it's not a usual DOS prompt window, it's a command window
for Cygwin (which is a kind of UNIX operating system that you can run
in Windows).

LilyPond is one of these programs where should not really expect to do
anything useful without reading at least the full tutorial. If you are
only used to Windows programs, you may at first find this way of working
very odd and difficult but several people on the mailing list have told
that once they passed this first small threshold, they find it in many
ways faster and more convenient than using a mouse based Windows
program.

Good luck!

  /Mats