Re: Tie problem

From: Maurizio Tomasi
Subject: Re: Tie problem
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 14:12:36 +0100

Graeme Evans wrote:
Hi,
I'm a new user of Lilypond, with quite a bit of experience with Score (some
professional).

I am having problems placing a tie between two bars, the 1st of which contains a whole note, and the second 4 quarter notes (all the same note, obviously.

There is no problem with this in simple form as it would be:

{ c1~ c4 c c c}

I run into problems when I put a hairpin crescendo/decrescendo in the whole note bar. The only way I can do this is to use spacer notes to lock the hairpins to, added as a second voice on the same staff. i.e

{<<c1~ \\ {s4 s4\< s4\! \> s4\!}>>
c4 c c c}

This renders the 2 bars correctly, except that the tie does not print.

What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Graeme

The reason why Lilypond is not behaving as expected is, when you use <<>> Lily creates a new voice (by the way, why are you using "\\"?). The solution is to include the note to tie in the <<>> construct as well:

\score {
    \new Staff {
        \relative c' {
            << { c1 ~ c4 }