Re: MacOS X native packaged (was Re: lilypond install mac os x)

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: MacOS X native packaged (was Re: lilypond install mac os x)
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:10:07 -0800

(Apologies to the moderator; I sent this from the wrong address at first.)

On Feb 25, 2005, at 04:22, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

BTW, the description of getting Lilypond up and running on a pristine
MacOS X (getting XCode, lots of compilation) seems rather involved. I
wonder whether there would be any interest in a "native" MacOS X
binary of Lilypond, with a pretty installer. An binary which is up and
running in a minutes, and Just Works out-of-box.

And: if you think that is cool idea, what would be a reasonable price?

IMO the price is much less important than the implementation, because an ordinary Mac user's idea of Just Works is very different from yours. Here is my idea of the installation:

When the user downloads your new installer, he should see an icon with a note beside it, "Double-click here to install Lilypond". And when he does so, there should be no questions, no choices to make, and the installer should not exit until it has processed "test.ly", displayed the corresponding PDF, and opened the documentation to the Introduction, all without user intervention. In addition, it would be good to install a clickable Lilypond icon in /Applications, even if its only function is to open whatever tools you include. (Which I assume would be something like the jEdit-with-plugins setup. Nobody who needs this possible new installer is going to have any idea what to do with Emacs, and conversely, anybody comfortable with Emacs won't be rushing to buy a new installer. Even jEdit is pretty weird if you're only used to OS X's TextEdit app.)

If that kind of sophistication is possible, then I think it would make a significant difference to a lot of people who would otherwise never touch Lilypond, and a number of them might pay good money for it. If not, then the current setup works for people who are already comfortable with Fink, a terminal, etc.

David