Re: Showing Chord Names

From: Steve D
Subject: Re: Showing Chord Names
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:34:19 -0700

Claude Lord wrote:
This is a repeat of a question I sent last Sunday.
Could someone show me how to modify the following code so that chord names
would appear above the upper staff? I have been unable to find the answer to
this in the online documentation.
If my question is not clear, I would appreciate somebody to tell me so that
I can try to clarify it.
If my question is too trivial, I would also appreciate knowing about it.
Thanks.

\version "2.4.0"
upper = \relative c' { \clef treble \key c \major  \time 4/4
c1 ~
c4. c8~c d4 e8
e4. d8 d2 ~
d4 r4 a'2
}
lower = \relative c { \clef bass \key c \major \time 4/4
<g' c e>1 ~
<a c e>1
<a c d fis>1 ~
<a c d fis>1 ~
}
text = \lyricmode { Love __ look __ at the two of us }
\score {
       \context GrandStaff <<
           \set PianoStaff.instrument = "Piano  "
        \context Staff = upper {
             \context Voice = singer \upper }
         \lyricsto "singer" \new Lyrics \text
         \context Staff = lower <<
           \clef bass
           \lower

       \layout {
         \context { \GrandStaff \accepts "Lyrics" }
         \context { \Lyrics \consists "Bar_engraver" }
       }
       \midi { \tempo 4=180 }
     }
--- --- ---

Hello Claude-- I'm just a beginner, but I edited your .ly file above until it came out as a piano staff with chord symbols above and the lyrics between the staves. I'm currently using LilyPond version 2.4.2

Here is the version of your file that works and looks as you seem to want, although I'm sure it is not the most efficient or best solution:

--- modified .ly file ---

\version "2.4.2"

upper = \relative c' { \clef treble \key c \major  \time 4/4
c1 ~
c4. c8~c d4 e8
e4. d8 d2 ~
d4 r4 a'2
}

lower = \relative c { \clef bass \key c \major \time 4/4
<g' c e>1 ~
<a c e>1
<a c d fis>1 ~
<a c d fis>1 ~
}

text = \lyricmode { Love __ look __ at the two of us }

chordsymbols = \chordmode { c1 c d:7 d:7 }

\score {
   <<
      \context ChordNames {
         \set chordChanges = ##t \chordsymbols
      }
      \context PianoStaff
      <<
         \set PianoStaff.instrument = "Piano   "
         \context Staff = upper {
            \context Voice = singer \upper
         }
         \lyricsto "singer" \new Lyrics \text
         \context Staff = lower \lower

   \layout {
      \context { \PianoStaff \accepts "Lyrics" }