Re: Can't use numbers

From: joe ferguson
Subject: Re: Can't use numbers
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 17:30:09 -0500

As a programmer by profession (but now retired) and a musical amateur by avocation, I tend to look at Lilypond as a programming language. When learning a new language I tend to look for two things at the very beginning: The Lexical tokens, and the Syntax.

I have pretty well scoped out the syntax works out, but I have yet to see a complete reference to the lexical tokens. The organization of the manual is such that, if you know what you want to do as a musician, you look up/search for what you believe to be the appropriate musical terminolgy and you then (you hope) find an example showing the appropriate notation. What I'd like to see is the reverse, organized in ASCII collating sequence, that says, e.g., that "// separates voices in polyphonic music", then gives a brief example (or links to an existing example.) This is particularly efficient when studying examples, such as from the mutopia project.

With respect to syntax, a good reference section in the user manual would be valuable, although I've got that pretty well figured out by now. The biggest remaining problem I have as a newbie, though, is comprehending the proper order of the various functions, understanding scoping rules, and other poorly documented information. I tend to leave a local copy of the lilypond.html manual up in a browser window to allow quick reference using the search feature (I use Mozilla 1.7.5 currently.)

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

It's already described clearly at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.4/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Organizing-larger-pieces.html However, it would be reasonable to have also a section in the main part of the manual that describes all details about the syntax of .ly files,
where this information would be a natural part.

   /Mats

Graham Percival wrote:

Yes, if it isn't already noted.  I'm not certain.

Could you look into it? I have a lot of university work right now. Could
you find the section in the manual where this info should be added,
and suggest a few sentences that would clarify this issue?

Cheers,
- Graham, Documentation Editor.