Re: transpose, transposition, and relative

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: transpose, transposition, and relative
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 23:34:12 +0100

address@hidden writes:
> In message <address@hidden>, Paul Scott
> <address@hidden> writes
> >Graham King wrote:
> >
> >>Try specifying transposition before relative.  The following (not quite
> >>minimal) example works for me:
> >>
> >That's exactly what the 2.4.2 manual says:  If you want to use both
> >|\transpose| and |\relative|, you must put |\transpose| outside of
> >|\relative|, since |\relative| will have no effect music that appears
> >inside a |\transpose|.
> >
> Okay. Let's change it.
>
> \version "2.4.0"
> voiceTromboneI = \transposition bf \relative c' {
>     bf2\ff bf | df df | c df | ef1 | bf2 bf | df df | c df | ef1 |
> }
>
> This (a) makes no difference to the notes, and (b) because I do
>
> \score {
>     \clef "bass"
>     <<
>     \voiceMarkup
>     \voiceTrombone
>     \voiceOtherStuff
>     >>
> }
>
> just that one little change of moving the "transposition" completely
> screws the layout. So much so that "voiceTrombone" is printed in treble
> clef, and then the clef changes to bass for the rest of the stuff.

Hi,

don't confuse \transposition and \transpose. \transposition sets the
transposition of the instrument playing. This is used for getting cue
note transpositions and MIDI output correct. \transpose changes the
pitches of a music expression. The above was interpreted as

voiceTrombone = { \transposition bf }

\relative c' { .. }

\score  {

which effectively puts two \score blocks in a \book.