Re: How to set lyrics to temporarily divided parts

From: Ferenc Wagner
Subject: Re: How to set lyrics to temporarily divided parts
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:25:42 +0100

"Kilian A. Foth" <address@hidden> writes:

> Mats Bengtsson writes:
>
>> Kilian A. Foth wrote:
>>
>>> I am having trouble setting lyrics to a choral part that
>>> divides itself for a few bars only.
>>
>> Hopefully,
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2004-12/msg00109.html
>> will answer this question.
>
> Hmmm, interesting. I find that referring to "1" and "2"
> *almost* does what is needed:
>
> \score {
>   <<  \context Voice = "melody" { \relative c' { c c c c | c } }
>       \new Lyrics \lyricsto "melody" { we shall o- ver- come } >> }
>
> \score {
>   <<  \context Voice = "melody" { \relative c' { c c8 e c4 c | c } }
>       \new Lyrics \lyricsto "melody" { we shall not o- ver- come } >> }
>
> \score {
>   <<  \context Voice = "melody" {
>     \relative c' { c
>       << {\voiceOne c8 e} \\ {\voiceTwo c4} >>
>      \oneVoice c4 c | c
>      }
>   }
>       \new Lyrics \lyricsto "melody" { we o- ver- come }
>       \new Lyrics \lyricsto "1" { shall not }
>       \new Lyrics \lyricsto "2" { shall }
>     >>
> }
>

> The third score correctly combines the first two (although the split
> lyrics are typeset one line too low). But that trick only works once
> for a part -- the next assignment to "1" would put yet another line of
> lyrics under the same split note, rather than the next one. Can notes
> and text be associated closer somehow to avoid this?

\new Lyrics creates a new lyrics context (ie. a fresh and
independent line of lyrics); what you want is putting more
words into the *same* context (line) you already created.
Since "2" is a short lived voice context, I'm not sure if it
will just work.  As a side note, I found it more natural not
to use the implicit voice creation syntax, but explicitly
name contexts (and possible keep them alive) by the other
method illustrated in the referred article.
--
Feri.