Chord sheet fine tuning problems

From: John Sellers
Subject: Chord sheet fine tuning problems
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 04:23:14 -0800

I am working up a series of chord sheets for myself and I have run into some page turning problems. It seems very awkward with my limited knowledge to get good control over vertical spacing as well as getting page brakes in the right place. What is the most systematic way to do this? Is there a graceful way?

1) I don't know what is the cause of the vertical wasted space in my lead sheet design, or how to get any fine control over it, a complete sample file is shown below. 2) If the page break is at the end of the score, it is ignored and the two scores end up on the same page. 3) I don't know how to automatically put the correct version and date in the tagline. Currently I am just hard coding it.

Any help will be appreciated.

---John

%-start code---------------------------------------------------------------------------
\renameinput "nomus.ly"
\paper  {
 printpagenumber = ##f
 raggedright = ##t
 raggedbottom = ##t
}
#(set-global-staff-size 23)
#(set-default-paper-size "letter")
\version "2.4.0"
init = {
\set chordChanges = ##t \set ChordNames.minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-3 . 3)
   \set Score.barNumberVisibility = ##f
   \time 4/4
 }
thePaper = \layout{
           indent = 0
         \context{
             \ChordNames
             \override BarLine #'bar-size = #4
             \override BarLine #'hair-thickness = #3
             \override KeySignature
            #'break-visibility = #all-invisible
             \consists Bar_engraver
             \consists Key_engraver
             \consists Time_signature_engraver

\book {
\header {
 texidoc = "Jazz Chord    format: chords and key."
 title = "Ballad Transposition Series 2-0"
 subtitle = "Chords Edited by JL"
 composer = "Standards in All Keys - Draft 1.0"
 arranger = "Engraved and Proofed by JS"
 dedication = "not for profit or assumption of rights"
 tagline = "Engraved by LilyPond, 2.4.2-1 - 12/29/04"
}
 \score{
   \context ChordNames
   \transpose bes bes {
   \key bes \major
   \init
   \chordmode {
     e4:7 d:7 ees2 e4:7 d:7 ees2 \break
     \set chordChanges = ##f
     ees1
     \set chordChanges = ##t
     f:7 f2:m ees:7 ees4 e f e ees1
   \layout { \thePaper }
   \midi{ \tempo 4 . = 110 }
   \header { piece = "Watch What Happens" }
 }

 \score{
   \context ChordNames
   \transpose bes bes {
   \key ees \major
   \init
   \chordmode {
     ees1:maj7 bes2:m7 ees:9 aes1:maj7 aes2:m7 des:9 g:m c:7 \break
     bes1:m ees:9 aes:maj7 aes:maj7 a2:m d:7 c:m f:7 bes1 bes:aug
   \layout { \thePaper }
   \midi{ \tempo 4 . = 110 }
   \header { piece = "Misty" }