Removing the key signature without loosing accidentials

From: Sven Axelsson
Subject: Removing the key signature without loosing accidentials
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 23:26:57 +0100

Hello List.

This question is for Lilypond 2.4.2.

I've recently started to use Lilypond for typesetting music for the Highland
Bagpipe, having used MusicTeX for many years before. The bagpipe specific
stuff is working fine - I started out with Andrew McNabb's definitions and
changed a lot of stuff to better suit my previous work.

One peculiarity for bagpipe music is that it is written as in C major (no
accidentials) when it actually is using a \key a \mixolydian. I am dealing
with this now by brute force:

\layout {
  \context {
    \Staff
    \remove "Key_engraver"
    \remove "Accidental_engraver"

But this means that I can't use accidentials on the (very few) places where
they actually should be used. I guess I can always do e.g. c^\markup{\flat},
but it isn't the same. Is there a better way?

--
P/S Sven Axelsson, The Murray Pipes & Drums of Gothenburg, Sweden