Re: Combo Template for Lilypond 2.4

From: Rick Sutphin
Subject: Re: Combo Template for Lilypond 2.4
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 20:50:17 -0500

> > 3. use make and a makefile to automate creation of scores and part
> > extraction
> > 4. create a script that would create a directory with the needed files
> > for combos with various instrumentation
>
> I think these are a bit too complicated to be included in that part
> of the manual.  What if you just had separate files for creating the
> various instrument parts?  Possibly using \tag ?
I will have to take a look at the other templates. Also, I am not
familiar with \tag.

> > Has anyone done something like this already? Is this worth doing?
>
> It would be great!  I'm not too familiar with Jazz instruments, so I
> skipped over this section when I was last editing the manual.
The idea could be extended to other type of ensembles. I haven't started
on it yet, but what I had in mind is a set of skeleton files for each
instrument, and a score definition for each instrument. The script would
allow the user to pick the instruments for a piece, then create a
directory structure, copy to the directory the appropriate instrument
files, and create a score file with the proper includes and staff
definitions. To notate a piece, you would only have to enter notes for
each instrument in the appropriate file. At least this is the idea.