Re: Combo Template for Lilypond 2.4

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Combo Template for Lilypond 2.4
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:19:10 -0800

On 20-Dec-04, at 4:53 PM, Rick Sutphin wrote:
I am attempting to update and improve the combo template for Lilypond
2.4.

You're talking about the Jazz Combo template in section 3.7?  Great!

I would like to do the following:
1. update syntax to 2.4
2. breakup template into separate files for each instrument with
score/header file to tie them all together.

Assuming you're talking about the manual page,
These two look good.  When you make the score file to tie them
together, it would be nice if you tried to follow the format that the
other templates used -- that makes it clearer for new users who want
to look at these templates as examples for their own work.  (rather
than using the templates exactly)

3. use make and a makefile to automate creation of scores and part
extraction
4. create a script that would create a directory with the needed files
for combos with various instrumentation

I think these are a bit too complicated to be included in that part
of the manual.  What if you just had separate files for creating the
various instrument parts?  Possibly using \tag ?

Has anyone done something like this already? Is this worth doing?

It would be great!  I'm not too familiar with Jazz instruments, so I
skipped over this section when I was last editing the manual.

Cheers,
- Graham Percival, LilyPond Documentation Editor