Re: Difficulties with testing installation on a Mac

From: Christ van Willegen
Subject: Re: Difficulties with testing installation on a Mac
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:27:43 +0100

Hi Paul,

> Ah, thanks for your emails, I realized after trying a few other samples
> from the website (which returned similar errors) that I had installed
> an outdated version.  Where I got off track was at
> http://lilypond.org/web/download/macos.html  where I didn't know how to
> do the following:
>
> >       •       Get the Lilypond package description by enabling the
> > "unstable"
> > tree in fink and executing fink selfupdate-cvs.

The latest _stable_ version of Lilypond is 2.4.2 (or close to it) (on
the Mac). The
unstable version may not be what you want at this point...

If you've any Unix experience at all, perhaps this is easier to remain
up-to-date:
- Click the 'Finder' icon in the Dock;
- Go to Applications (it should be on the left of the window that just opened);
- Click the 'Terminal' icon.
(The 'Terminal' icon may be in Utilities. My Mac is at home...)

This opens a black screen. Welcome to Unix :-)

Try the following commands:
fink selfupdate
fink update-all

OR

/sw/bin/fink selfupdate
/sw/bin/fink update-all

(try the first pair, then the second).

The first command will get the latest package descriptions from a server, the
second will update all installed packages to the latest version. You probably
have to type your password after the first of these commands.

This will probably only work if you have the Developer Tools from
Apple installed,
because these commands will build everything from source.

I have little or no experience getting Lilypond to work with FinkCommander, but
I may try to see what happens. Did FinkCommander require you to install
developer tools? If so, both ways (FinkCommander and fink from the Terminal
command line) work equally well.

I've found that this works tremendously well for my setup, but YMMV...

HTH!

Christ van Willegen