Re: Spam [was: Fwd: Meta-topic: Spam filtering and bounced messages]

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: Spam [was: Fwd: Meta-topic: Spam filtering and bounced messages]
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 21:53:25 +0000

In message <address@hidden>, Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes

On 20-Nov-04, at 3:54 AM, Sean Reed wrote:

i subscribe to a number of lists which only allow subscribers to post.
would the list managers consider adding this function to the lilypond users list?

It has been considered in the past, but rejected: we want it to be
easy to post to lily-users.  Asking confused new users to subscribe
to the mailing list before asking questions could sufficiently
deter some people that they simply give up on Lilypond.

Or insist that all non-member posts are moderated?

I know it's a pain and delays things for non-subscribers, but allowing spam mucks things up for subscribers :-(

Just respond to a non-member post with an acknowledgement that says "you are not a list member - your post has been held for moderation and will be posted shortly".

Cheers,
Wol
as Lies-to-People.