Accidentals using a different font to notate microtonal music

From: Prent Rodgers
Subject: Accidentals using a different font to notate microtonal music
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 17:27:28 -0700

I've been studying the Sagittal font (http://users.bigpond.net.au/d.keenan/sagittal/) lately. It solves many of my problems composing for microtonal scales. In a typical piece of mine, I might use as many as 21 or more different accidentals. Is there a way to take advantage of this in LilyPond?

Could someone experienced with Scheme be able to show me how to expand the accidental support from its current level to 40-50 different ones? My challenge is to support the Partch tonality diamond and its extensions to higher limits. There is just no sensible way to limit the accidentals to sharps and half sharps or flats and half flats and still show the richness of the tonality spectrum of these interesting scales.

I've done some scores using existing Lilypond accidentals, visible at http://prodgers13.home.comcast.net/listen/wasatch6.pdf but I'd really prefer to use the Sagittal set. I generate LilyPond input files using a program, so even if I had to enter extensive information for each note, that would be a trivial problem. For example, if for every note I had to add several lines of code, I could modify the score generating program to accommodate that.
--

Prent Rodgers

Web page: http://prodgers13.home.comcast.net
Blog: http://www.xanga.com/music1024