Re: some questions (stem length)

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: some questions (stem length)
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 11:09:43 +0200

If you want to change the stem length of beamed notes, you should
take a look at the properties beamed-lengths,
beamed-minimum-free-lengths and beamed-extreme-minimum-free-lengths of
the Stem layout object, see
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.2/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond-internals/Stem.html

However, it's clearly not a bug that LilyPond does not make every
stem as long as an octave. The implementors have spent lots of time and
effort to produce a result that's pleasing to the eye and that looks
similar to old hand engraved scores from the best publishers. Still,
there will of course be lots of special cases where the current
program logic fails.
I recommend that you also take a look at the beaming related examples
of the "Regression Tests" document on the LilyPond documentation web
page to see some examples of all the special cases that have to be
handled decently.

   /Mats

sdf sdfs wrote:
Thanks for your help.

It still does not work for me, maybe someone could
tell me what I'm doing wrong. I've attached the source
to this message (dunno if it will be forwarded to the
list). I'm particulary annoyed about the a-c-eflat in
M.23 an the c in M.8, but they're all over the place.
Could this be a bug? (I'm using 2.2.0)

1)I was taught that under most circumstances, the
length of a note's stem must be at least an octave,
however, this does not seem to be the case by

default

in Lilypond. Is this correct? If so, how can I
override the default settings?

Yeah, it should be an octave.  Lilypond is doing it
correctly for me (version 2.2.2). Do you have more than one voice in a staff? If you do, then stems should be shorter than an octave if they're forced to a direction other than what they normally would be. But, Lilypond does shorten them too much when they're not far from their normal position. You can adjust it with:
\override Stem #'stem-shorten = #'(1.0 0.5)
Lower the numbers in the parenthesis so the stems
wouldn't be shorten too much. I think the first number is for no flags in stems, the other for flags.

______________________________________________________________________ Post your free ad now! http://personals.yahoo.ca

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems