Re: shared rests between voice parts?

From: Nicolas Sceaux
Subject: Re: shared rests between voice parts?
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 21:22:52 +0200

Arvid Grøtting <address@hidden> writes:

> Han-Wen Nienhuys  <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> address@hidden writes:
>>
>>> No, there's splitInterval just for that.
>>
>> Yes, but unfortunately, that property does not work anymore with the
>> part combiner.
>
> So basically, i can't use the part combiner for this?
>
> Oh, well.  I've put a file out[1] that you could use as an example of
> the kind of input that could benefit from a rests-only part combiner.
>
> For an example of how the rests usually look in this kind of setup,
> you could look at <http://regina.uio.no/~arvidg/Sangerhilsen.pdf>.
> Here, rests have been replaced with spacer notes in the T2 and B2
> voices.
>
> [1] <http://regina.uio.no/~arvidg/dunkom.ly>

I've just typeset a score with the same issue: 4 french horns on two
staves, with several common rests on each staff. I ended up using the
following workaround: a third voice per staff, with the common rests,
and using skips in the horns parts.

hornOne   = { s1 s1 s2 c''4 d'' }
hornTwo   = { s1 s1 s2 e'4  g'  }
hornRests = { R1 R1 r2 s2       }

 << \clef treble
    \new Voice { \voiceOne \hornOne }
    \new Voice { \voiceTwo \hornTwo }
    \new Voice { \oneVoice \hornRests } >>

Then, for an individual score, one can use:

 << \clef treble
    \hornOne
    \hornRests >>

nicolas