Re: Lyrics -- Left align a word / wordblock

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Lyrics -- Left align a word / wordblock
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 13:08:22 +0200

At the bottom of the on-line manual section on "Entering lyrics",
you can find links to the layout objects handling the lyrics.
If you click on LyricText, you can find the documentation of all
properties that can be modified. Among others, you will find a
property called self-alignment-X, that can be set. For example:

\lyrics{      \override LyricText #'self-alignment-X = #left
  This is some left alig -- ned ly -- rics }

   /Mats

Trent J wrote:
Hello...

Firstly thanks to those who helped me with my previous question.

My new question is this....

Monteverdi (and several other baroque composers and modern ones) can sometimes put a whole string of text to be sung on the one note...

eg.

g\longa
"Donec ponam inimicos"

what I end up with is the word being centred on the note and it intrudes quite a lot into the previous bar causing that bar to become overly long as well....

eg..

           |   g               |
"Donec ponam inimicos"

Is there a way that I can align these lyrics so that words are actually left aligned...

 | g                                |
 | "Donec ponam inimicos" |  etc.....

so that the words actually up the space of the bar that it is in.

BTW .. I'm using Lilypond version 2.2.5 under XP Professional...

Thanks again... any help appreciated...

Trent

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing