Re: ChordName/Staff Spacing

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: ChordName/Staff Spacing
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 16:37:10 +0200

Matthew Schulkind wrote:
How can I squish ChordNames and Staffs closer together than they
willingly want to go?

I have tried:
\set Staff.minimumVerticalExtent = #'(0.2 . 0.2)

OK! I hope you set it at the beginning of the top stave.

\override SeparatingGroupSpanner #'padding = #'0.2

There is no padding by default, so this might increase the
spacing.

and
\set ChordNames.minimumVerticalExtent = #'(0.2 . 0.2)

The default setting has zero extent downwards, so this will also
increase the separation.

Yet I still can't squish them as much as I want. There's still a
considerable amount of space surrounding the staff and names. How can
I get rid of even more?

If you set only Staff.minimumVerticalExtent, the chords will be
typeset just on top of the G clef. (You can try an example with
bass clef and no notes higher than the top stave line, to see
that it works). If you want to get below the top of the G clef,
you have to set Staff.verticalExtent or Staff.extraVerticalExtent
(note, though that minimumVerticalExtent has to be set small enough
so it doesn't limit the size).

  /Mats