Re: two notes of the same pitch

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: two notes of the same pitch
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 12:28:14 -0400

On Wednesday 08 September 2004 05:55 am, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> I seem to recall a discussion on this topic some year ago on
> the mailing list. From the top of my head, I don't remember
> the conclusions, but you may want to search the mailing list
> archives to see what came up then.
>
>   /Mats
>
> Quoting Joe Neeman <address@hidden>:
> > There seem to be problems writing music with two notes of the same
> > pitch:
> >
> > <c cis>
> > produces output that looks like <cis cis> (ie there is no natural
> > on the c)
> >
> > <c! cis>
> > results in an accidental collision. The sharp and the natural are
> > superimposed
> >
> > <ces c! cis>
> > results in all three accidentals superimposed and only two
> > noteheads. There aren't too many examples of this sort of thing in
> > music, but I have seen things like this typeset by splitting the
> > stem like so:
> >
> >  / \
> > xx x

It may be "standard", but it is inferior to the older way
of Schott's that it is supposed to improve on:

 |\
 | \
x|x x
x|
x|

part of the reason is simply because there may be other
notes in the chord, which it is much more sensible to
put on the vertical.  Also, engravers did not use
a protractor.  They only drew horizontals, verticals,
and point to point.  No standard for angles.

I propose a zero tuplet bracket as a much better way.
As long as there are not more nested tuplets, you
could fake it somehow, perhaps with a duplet with
the "2" replaced by a "0"..  I think the zero tuplet
would be a great feature IAC.  daveA

--
Paying more at the gas pump?  Bush's Oil Sheikh Buddies, who support Al
Qaeda, Palestinian terrorists, & hate-U.S. school systems everywhere,