Re: Finale for Linux?

From: Peter B. Steiger
Subject: Re: Finale for Linux?
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:24:32 -0600

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 07:00, Nick Busigin wrote:
> Before deciding to use Lilypond, I took a look at the other music
> typesetting packages, including those on the Windows platform such as
> Finale.  Lilypond won me over due to its superior output and its user
> and development community.  I doubt that many would switch from Lilypond
> to Finale even if it was ported over to Linux.

A very nice Winduhs freeware package (with optional feature packages you
can purchase) is Anvil Studio.  Some might call it crippleware since for
the full feature benefits you have to shell out a few bucks (most in the
$20 USD range), but I have used it for five years without needing to pay
for any of the extras.

Before that I used WinSong, which is older than my kids; when it was new
the developer was active on Compuserve and responded quickly and
enthusiastically to user requests.  Then some other software company
bought him out and shelved the program, which is a shame because for $75
it had more useful features than the high-end programs.

BTW, I'm working on a midi-to-lilypond converter since I can't get
midi2ly to work correctly.  Unfortunately my grasp of both C and MIDI
file format is pretty elementary, and I can only work on it in my spare
time which means about 5 lines of code a week.  This may take a while...

-------
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY