Re: proper placing of chordnames re: alternative ending brackets

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: proper placing of chordnames re: alternative ending brackets
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 10:19:02 +0200

Always tell what LilyPond version you use, when sending questions to the
list.

The problem here is certainly that the proposed solution was intended
for another version of LilyPond than what you currently have.
However, this is easily solved using the convert-ly program.
So, try to figure out from the email you found, what version it was
intended for, say version 2.0.0. Then, copy the lines of code into
a file, say myfile.ly and run the command
convert-ly -e --from=2.0.0 myfile.ly
Then, the file contents should be updated to work with your version
of LilyPond, so you could just copy the lines into your score.

   /Mats

John Sellers wrote:
Newbee question:
I was doing a simple lead sheet with repeats and alternatives and had trouble with the chordnames being above the alternative ending brackets rather than between the brackets and the staff, which is the usual way of doing lead sheets.

I got some help which lead me to a solution to this problem posted in Feb., and after playing got part of it working:

\score {
 \notes <<
   \context ChordNames {
       \set chordChanges = ##t
       \harmonies
   }
   \context Staff = one \melody
   \set  verticalExtent = #' (-1 . 3.5)
   \set  minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-1 . 1)

 \paper{
%     \translator {
%            \StaffContext
%            VoltaBracket \override #'padding       = #3  %pts
%        }

The part that is flagged out is an exact quote from the solution posting, but the translator escape is not recognized by lilypond in my case. What should I do to get the VoltaBracket padding modification to work? Translators are completely beyond my newbee experience.

Thanks,  John Sellers, fiddle player, violinist, and Former Smalltalker

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology