Re: Pages and line breaks

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Pages and line breaks
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 20:29:16 +0200

Joshua Koo writes:

> One thing I realised is thats the score doesnt end at the end of the pages.

Page layout has been in development since March.  Check-out the
development branch, there are packages for several platforms.  It's
not been heavily used, so expect to find bugs.

> It would be great if I do something like this \fit-pages 4

I have thought about this, but I'm not sure that it is very useful.
Either the score fits, or it doesn't, given the spacing you prefer.

> Anyway about page breaking, I been to both Finale's and Seblius
> webpages. Both of them have some features to determine the page
> breaks automatically.
> Finale smart page turns options to calculate where page breaks.

Colour me unimpressed.  Having seen the quality and correctness of the
output they produce (esp. finale) I would be very surprised if they
got this right.

> Sibelius shows off that they put the multimeasure rest at the end of
> page so flipping is easiler.

Interesting.  I wonder what happens when you stress that feature.
This is another thing that we have been thinking about.  With the
current page breaking algorithm, you should be able to do that by
hand, adding positive or negative stimulations for page breaks.

Before we choose to automate such a feature, we would like to have
some good feel for when and where to put how big penalties.  If you
are interested, you can help shed some light on this.

Jan.