Re: character by name on the gnome canvas, custom fontencoding

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: character by name on the gnome canvas, custom fontencoding
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 18:21:58 +0200

Christopher Blizzard writes:

> I've attached the small test stub that I used to test the code before
> checking it in.  It should shed a little light on how the code paths
> are supposed to work.

Thanks a lot, this is what did it:

#if 0
  PangoFontMap *map = pango_ft2_font_map_for_display ();
#else
  /* Thanks again, Chris Blizzard */
  PangoFontMap *map
    = PANGO_FC_FONT_MAP (pango_xft_get_font_map (GDK_DISPLAY (), 0));
#endif

I'm now past Hello World level, and can continue with the real afm
mapping part!

> get_glyph should return a single glyph for a specific code point.
> Note that there is no support here for doing more than one glyph for a
> code point.  As Owen put it, I think correctly, "write a shaper" if
> you want to do that.

Ok, I think that suits my needs for now.

> get_charset should return an FcCharSet * that includes complete
> coverage information for your font.  That might include coverage in
> the usual unicode ranges, or in the PUA.

Ok, that should not be too hard -- as long as the application drawing
onto pango and the decoder use the same unicode mapping all should be
fine I guess.  Maybe it's best to map all unknown characters in the
PUA, I'll see.

Thanks,
Jan.