Re: trill + accidental

From: gilles
Subject: Re: trill + accidental
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 21:24:28 +0200

Hi.

> >(1)
> >I'm trying to obtain an extended trill on an "e" with an indication
> >that the other note must be "f#".
> >
> >In the docs, I found the following for the extended trill:
> >
> >    \property Voice.TextSpanner \set #'style = #'trill
> >    \property Voice.TextSpanner \set #'edge-height = #'(0 . 0)
> >    \property Voice.TextSpanner \set #'edge-text
> >     = #(cons (make-musicglyph-markup "scripts-trill")  "")
> >    e2 ~#(ly:export (make-span-event 'TextSpanEvent START)) |
> >    e4 #(ly:export (make-span-event 'TextSpanEvent STOP))
> >
> >In the ML, a solution for the combination with an accidental was given as:
> >
> >    \override TextSpanner #'edge-text = #(cons (markup #:musicglyph
> >    "scripts-trill" #:raise 0.8 #:flat) "")
> >
> >but this does not work, at least with the version (2.1.0) I use:
> >
> >    Parsing...ERROR: Unbound variable: markup
> >
> >How should I do it?
>
> This is one feature where the syntax and semantics has changed since
> 2.1.0. I hope you have access to the documentation corresponding to your
> version, still it can be a bit tricky to translate a mailing list
> answer to the correct version.

I don't follow you:  The first excerpt, here above, comes from the docs for
version 2.1.0
and (hence) works (to produce an exended trill).  Now, I wished to add a
"sharp" sign
above the "tr" sign.  For this I found the second suggestion, here above, in
the ML, but
this one, as you said, is for a newer version.
So my question was: How to modify

   #(cons (make-musicglyph-markup "scripts-trill")  "")

in order for it to have the same effect as

   #(cons (markup #:musicglyph "scripts-trill" #:raise 0.8 #:sharp) "")

> >(2)
> >I use Debian GNU/Linux and I wonder why no package more recent than 2.1.0
> >is present on the Debian mirror sites.
>
> Debian has always been restrictive about including too new versions to
> for stability reasons. I'm not sure it always helps. However, if you
> follow the instructions at www.lilypond.org -> Downloads, you can
> easily download newer LilyPond versions for Debian.

I knew that some people prepare Debian packages; but why can't those become part
of the "unstable" archive?

> >(3)
> >I tried to search the ML archive (for a solution to my question above)
> >   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/
>
> Links to the mailing list archives can be found at
> http://lilypond.org/web/about/

I went to the right place... Simply, the query engine didn't work at the time,
and I just
wanted to signify it.  Now it works, indeed :-).

Best regards,
Gilles