Re: can MIDI support voice?

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: can MIDI support voice?
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 09:58:41 -0400

On Monday 31 May 2004 08:51 pm, Graham Percival wrote:
> On Fri, 28 May 2004 08:48:48 -0400
>
> Ting Gan <address@hidden> wrote:
> >       I came upone a problem with MIDI files. I have a piece of
> > music which has a voice and a piano part. The MIDI file which
> > lilypond file output to does not play the voice(singing) part. It
> > just plays the melody, not the lyrics. Does anyone know if MIDI
> > plays voice? Thank you all.
>
> No, MIDI doesn't support voice.

It does provide for displaying lyrics as text on the screen.
It should be possible to play voice using a reading program.
I don't know of any effort to do that, but that means nothing.
MIDI is a format.  There is information in a midi file which
in theory could be used to sing lyrics.  Therefore, MIDI could
be said to "support" it, if it ever is done.  ;-)  daveA

--
Paying more at the gas pump?  Bush's Oil Sheikh Buddies, who support Al
Qaeda, Palestinian terrorists, & hate-U.S. school systems everywhere,