lilypond-book, making tune books, page breaks

From: Ben Crowell
Subject: lilypond-book, making tune books, page breaks
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 13:02:05 -0500

For an example of a tune book done with lilypond-book:
  http://www.lightandmatter.com/sight/sight.html
The source code is available on the site, but it's actually
partly generated by a computer program, which you'd have
to download and run.

>The music prints only on one
>line, so, in dvi terms, there is one (very) overfull hbox.  It is also
>rather crowded, with almost no space between notes, etc. Is this
>normal?  Did I do something wrong?
This is not normal. You should try compiling the examples in the
lilypond manual, which were done with lilypond-book. That will tell
you whether it's a problem with your installation of lilypond, or
a problem with your input files. You should be able to reproduce the
results in the manual, which are not crowded.

>the title,
>arranger, etc. only displays for the first header.
You can just do the headers using plain old LaTeX. Most of the tunes
in my book don't have any headers, but a few do (the ones that say
`famous tune (identified in the table of contents)'), so you can
see if that's anything like what you want to do.

>How does one force a page break?  I tried using \newpage, but it either has
>no effect, or causes errors.
Between pieces, you can do a \pagebreak[4] using LaTeX. Dunno about forcing
page breaks within a piece, though; I've just been letting lilypond-book
put pagebreaks where it wants them. To discourage page breaks, you can
also surround some music with a \begin{samepage}...\end{samepage} LaTeX
environment. Although this may sound like the opposite of what you're
asking for (you want to force a pagebreak, not discourage one), you can
actually get the pagebreaks to happen where you *do* want them by forcing them
*not* to happen in places where you *don't* want them.